I’ve always been a fan of horror movies. I can watch even the silliest movies if it’s horror. Later, I do regret watching them but I can’t get enough of horror. Since I’ve seen every good movie that there is, I try to search for random movies that might interest me. I check for reviews and summaries that are often very reliable, thanks to IMDb. Out of all the horror flicks I’ve ever watched, these 8 movies never seem to disappoint the people I recommend them to. Here are 8 horror movies you should watch (in my opinion)
1. Dead Silence (2007): Not many people I know have watched this movie. This is such a great movie, one of my all-time favorites. The story is interesting and will keep you glued to the television. The object of horror, a doll named Billy is scary, hands down. Dolls can look pretty deadly when possessed, remember Chucky (Child’s Play) and Annabelle (The Conjuring)? Billy is not the only horror element here, the evil spirit of Mary Shaw takes the cake. She was a ventriloquist and the reason behind Billy’s evil ways. I do not wish to give out any spoilers. Watch this movie alone (with no lights on) if you dare to.
“Beware the stare of Mary Shaw. She had no children, only dolls.
And if you see her do not scream; or she’ll rip your tongue out, at the seam.
And if you see her remember this, the only thing that can stop her is dead silence.”
2. Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007): I’ve watched all the other parts of Wrong Turn but this one is by far the best. The story revolves around a group of small-time celebrities that are contestants of a survival reality game show. Like all the other wrong turn movies, this one too is based in forest of West Virginia. There are cannibals that mercilessly kill people. They are not mere cannibals, they have deformed faces and unclear speech. You should watch this movie if you like horror flicks like ‘The Hills Have Eyes’. It’s a decent watch especially if you can’t think of anything better.
3. The Sixth Sense (1999): This movie is not really scary but what makes it stand out is the brilliant story and execution. There are ghosts in this superb horror flick but they aren’t blood thirsty or outright evil. The story is about a troubled 9 year-old, Cole who can see and communicate with spirits. Malcom Crowe, an award-winning child psychologist is determined to cure Cole in this highly rated horror movie (8.2/10 on IMDb) Watch this flick if you value a good story over cheesy scare tactics.
4. Insidious Chapters 1 & 2 (2010, 2013): My best friend had suggested this movie to me. I was not interested at first (what was I thinking!) but I’m glad I watched it. In part one, the protagonist is a child named Dalton who falls into a coma. It’s up to his family and a psychic, Elise to prevent him from being trapped in another realm called ‘The Further’. The second part is connected to the first. There are certain potholes in part one that are filled in part two.
Insidious 2 is much scarier that Insidious 1. With some chilling scenes and a good story line, this movie series is a must-watch in my opinion. The buzz is, filming for Insidious 3 will soon begin. I can’t wait for that!
5. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995): Tales from the Crypt Series is a classic. I remember watching some episodes as a kid sans the X-rated scenes. Some episodes were disturbing but I still loved watching the show. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight is not an episode but a movie. As a kid, I found it frightening and gripping at the same time. This tale is about a man who owns the last of the seven keys. These keys are special containers that hold the blood of Christ. They were scattered across the universe so that they don’t not fall in the wrong hands (demons). If you are a ‘Tales from the Crypt’ fan, make sure you watch this movie. It is old but undoubtedly gold.
6. Ginger Snaps (2000): This horror movie is not your typical werewolf flick. I like how they portrayed the relationship between two sisters, Ginger and Bridget and added a werewolf element to it. Ginger is the big sister, bold and outgoing while Bridget is the shy and introvert little sister who is often bullied in school. When Ginger gets bitten by a creature in the dark, all hell breaks loose. She slowly transforms into a werewolf and develops a taste for human flesh. The only person who can stop her is her dear sister Bridget. This movie is dark and a little gory. A must-watch in my opinion for people who like werewolf tales.
7. Child’s Play (1988): I have a feeling you’ve watched this 80’s horror movie. Almost everyone I come across knows about Child’s Play. My grandmother watched it and said that it changed her perspective of dolls. She used to find dolls harmless but now she thinks differently. The movie is about an evil doll, Chucky possessed by the spirit of a serial killer (terrifying). Chucky has a mission (watch the movie to know) and anyone who gets in between is murdered. I recommend this horror movie to people who haven’t watched it and would like a blast from the past.
8. Pet Sematary (1989): This is one helluva movie. Pet Sematary is one of Stephen King’s best work. I want to watch it again soon. This movie is dark, terrifying and an amazing adaptation of the book. This is a true classic and it deserves that title. The story revolves around a family that has just moved to a new house in the countryside. The only unusual thing about the location is a mysterious cemetery behind the house. I will not divulge much even if you’ve already seen the movie. There are people who don’t even know about it so this is for their good. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who wants to know what real horror is. Hail Stephen King!
These were some of my favorite horror movies. I do like gory and thrilling movies with lots of slashing and blood shed but without a decent story, everything is a waste.
This is a different blog post if you compare it to my previous posts, and Law of Attraction. Well, this is what you get from Random Plethora, unusual and random 5 Simple Tips For Selecting the Right Career Path. Follow my blog for more interesting posts and do comment if you feel like.
Images sourced from: vicsmovieden.files.wordpress.com, 4.bp.blogspot.com, soundonsight.org, 31.media.tumblr.com, 1.bp.blogspot.com, cdn-media.hollywood.com, images.amcnetworks.com